Tuesday, February 16, 2010

13/02/2010 In the Slums of Bombay

Varanasi is raining and dirty when I leave to the airport. All the hard rain swemmed the shit from the streets and changed them to a big dirty brown lake.
Arriving in Bombay (Mumbai) I am very suprised. This city seems not to belong to India:
It is clean, sunny, cars stauy in theie lane and (almost) no horning. Impressive! I feel more like being in Buenos Aires or Barcelona. Now, I just want to jump in the shower and explore the bomb-nightlife!
Unfortunatly, my hotel is a nightmare. After the electricy cable was fallen in my shower while I was showering (it was just a lucky accident that I went for my shampoo) and the bathroom burned, I escaped from that place. What made me very angry, was, that the Hotel manager did not care at all. It was Manama Hotel, a budget business hotel, near CST. NOT RECOMMENDED!

My friends in Bombay were so smart, they organized me asap a new room, next to the india gate with a amazing vieuw on sunset over the yacht port.
Next day, I met my lovely new friend for a breakfast. We met in Delhi on one of the weddings and he was a perfect breakfast date. I enjoyed the hour and joined than a tourist tour.
The people from my Hotel seems to have a strange sense of humour: The toiur they booked was a Hindi-Tour for indian tourists. In addittion, thast I did not understand a word, the "Sightseeing" did not contained interesting buuildings and places, but an aquarium, a 4D-Movi, Computergames and houses of Bollywood celebraties. Ahhhhhha. After the 3rd stop, I recognized, this would be a waste of time for me. Thus, I took one of the guides as my personal guide. ordered a taxi and enjoyed the rest of the day by seeing "foreigners-sightseein".
Near to one of the places, my guide asked me, if I would be interested in meeting his family. He lives nearby. Always having all my Delhi-rules in mind, I was not sure, if I should follow a strange person in the slums... But as usual, my childry innosence and my blind trust made the decistion. And it was good so.
This nice guy took me deep in the slums, showed me his "house": a 8sqm room, without any furniture, where 5 people are sleeping. He introduced me to his mother in law, to his sister, to his wife, to the neigbours, to almost everyone we met in the small streets. (It was very impressing, maybe i will write more about this later)
Those peole have nearly nothing, but they offert me a coffee and sent the cildren with the small money to buy suger for me (a strange person, they never met before). I felt very welcomed and wanted to arrange myself by giving my guide a royal tip in the evening. But he refused. Not only the tip, also his salary. He meant, we got friends during the day, and now, he will not take any money from me. I was very impressed, as well as ashamed about my daily correctness in money things.

No comments:

Post a Comment