Tuesday, July 20, 2010

19/07/2010 German Quality in Chinese Mass Production

Volkswagen (VW) is a big german automobile company. They have a factory in North China, where they produce high quality engines for several VW cars, as well as for Audi A6.
I was lucky to get a chance to visit the factory and see a production and a assembling line. This was very interesting and opened me my eyes again for a moment. Not only, because the official language at VW is german, and everything is written in Chinese and German. Very unsual but very confortable for me. It was also interesting to see how the production processes are going. Not on the paper or in Theory. In real, in the factory. My dear brother is working in Germany in such a line. I am very thankful, that I could get a small insight in his working day. They have 3 or 4 shift schedules, with no downtimes. I guess working in one of this lines, with high time and quality pressure is really hard. Besides that, I also think, that doing the same task for 8 hours a day, with only 30 minuts lunch break is really not a funny job. My poor brother. What is he doing every day for day, risking his health by this hard, for the bit money he earns. He does night and weekend shifts, he never complains, and is always in a good mood and friendly. No comparison to the comfortable office job, in which the most people are always unsatisfied and requesting more money.
After seeing that, I highly respect these people, who are doing this mental and physical difficult work in a constantly good quality. Their effort results in my customer satisfaction.
And I remember a quote from a friend of my brother. This friend, lets call him Tim. After he heard that I am a project manager for process improvements, he said: "You are one of those stupid engineers, who are coming, and always disturbing? They have no idea of our work. Theyare looking and disturbing our process, measuring everything with the stopwatch and than changing everything, that it does not work anymore and we are sweating and than fired!"
Well, a bit harsh, but this was what he said and what Tim felt. After this visit, I recognized: Sitting at the desk, designing a process, cutting some costs and increase the efficience, by turning the process time down - this is easy. And normaly this person is not that one, who has to work later with the process. And normaly, he is also not the one, who is cost cutted. This journey really teached me my lesson.
(We) I should remember that in future and value and appreciate the work of those workers more.

No comments:

Post a Comment